(2020-01-09) Cagan Coaching Strategic Context
Normally the strategic context is part of the onboarding for any new product manager joining the organization.
Generally, there are six types of strategic context:
- Company Mission
- why we are here.
- usually lasting for a decade or more, if not the life of the company.
- Company Scorecard
- set of key performance indicators (KPI’s)
- referred to here as the company scorecard, and sometimes as the company dashboard
- Company Objectives
- focused on for this year
- for each of these areas of improvement, there are typically specific business targets the company hopes to achieve (the key results). (OKR)
- Product Vision
- Normally the product vision is somewhere between 3 years and 10 years out.
- The mission may provide the purpose, but it’s the vision that begins to make this tangible.
- This is what empowered product teams will be figuring out: how to make this vision a reality.
- Product Strategy
- The product strategy drives the specific work that each product team is intended to tackle
- we’re no longer discussing the overall strategic context, and we’re now looking at an individual product team,
- Product Principles (manifesto)
Edited: | Tweet this!