Akai Midi Wind Controller
I bought one to substitute for a Baritone Sax.
- Mac or PC
- comes with Garritan-Aria software and large bank of wind instrument sounds/samples
- commenters here complain about the software - might be an MsWindows issue
Hmm, does this only cover 2 octaves? Should be at least double that - the rollers don't seem to be working right. Ah, it's probably that the samples just cover that much. But I could really use another few notes on the high end...
- Nope, dealer says should get wider range
- Jan05'2011 - try again, still no luck - contact various non-dealer support folks
- also run Midi Monitor app, confirm that I'm only sending D1 or D2 regardless of thumb position variations (sitting between 2 rollers, on any single roller alone, completely off rollers).
- emailed them. A week later got a "we got busy, if you still need help try calling us".
- called after hours, left message
- called again during day, bot said "wait time is 67 minutes". Luckily it was only 20min. Once I said I had already done a reset, they said there was nothing else to do (it's such a simple device), so I should send it back.
- Mar30'2011 - needs part back-ordered until July, they'll just send a total replacement unit, but even that is backordered until May!
- yay got working replacement. Hrm breathing technique is way different from "real thing"
- picked it up again a year later, and it wasn't working again. Garbage time.
Instrument gives lots of air resistance, which gets written about a lot. But I haven't found a single video that demonstrates/explains things.
Edited: | Tweet this!