See related Design School.
== Best schools (US, undergrad, practice-oriented) ==
- Southern California Institute of Architecture (S C I Arc)
- California Polytechnic State Univ., San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
- University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
- Iowa State University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Oregon
- Boston Architectural College
- University of Southern California (USC)
- Pennsylvania State University (Penn State)
- University of Arkansas
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
- 1 Harvard University
- 2 Yale University
- 3 Columbia University
- 4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- 5 Cornell University
- 5 Rice University
- 7 University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
- 8 Kansas State University
- 9 University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- 10 University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin)
== How get in? ==
- Cornell: The preferred format for portfolio submission is in hard copy, though we have recently added the option of submitting online via Cornell AAP Slide Room... Samples of freehand drawing are required. In addition to drawings, please include a variety of work from media such as painting, sculpture, graphics, art photography, woodworking, ceramics, or any other visual media that demonstrate interest, experience, and aptitude in creative and graphic areas. Please submit 15–20 items.
- UT Austin: [We](https://soa.utexas.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/freshman-faq#Do you require a portfolio?) do not accept portfolios for freshman admissions.
- Virginia Polytechnic: None
- RISD: Portfolios must be submitted through Slide Room... Your portfolio should show a selection of 12–20 examples of your best recent artwork. We suggest that the work reflect the full range of your ideas, interests, experience and abilities in the arts to date. Work presented can be in any medium (including film or video), in finished or sketch form, and the result of an assigned project or a self-directed exploration. We strongly recommend that you include a few pages from your journal or sketchbook to indicate your process of research, thinking and investigation.
Attend summer programs offered by architecture schools for high school students.
- The UT Austin program is a great deal from a top school: Number One Son went there.
- Cornell University program
- Pratt Institute program
Get a summer job in building construction or in an architect's office.
== Online courses, lectures ==
Edited: | Tweet this!