- We want our kids to end up as young adults capable of Making A Living, understanding the universe, dealing appropriately with their fellow humans, and being responsible citizens of an Open Society. Goal Of Educating Kids
- Children are naturally curious, and naturally want to mimic adult role-models. (See Ken Robinson, Peter Gray, Daniel Greenberg, Sudbury School.)
- Children learn when/what they want to. Forcing a subject on them tends to result in low Engagement and retention.
- A child might want to spend all their time every day learning a single thing for years, then drop it completely to move on to something else.
- Few people's attention is best packaged in clock-controlled sessions.
- Two people's interest in a single "subject" may overlap only slightly.
- Giving a child no control over their schedule for 12-16 years trains them to be NPC-s. "If you want a citizen, don't raise him like a slave."
- Let kids follow their own interests, even if it doesn't look like Learning at all. (Agency)
- Challenge: Credentialism.
Sept'2011: this survey-invitation includes a list of resources.
http://www.naturalchild.com/guest/earl_stevens.html A large component of unschooling is grounded in doing real things, not because we hope they will be good for us, but because they are intrinsically fascinating.
See also Deschooling Society
See Sudbury School-s
See 2 unschooler wikis:
- Quo Vadis Wiki : http://www.quovadis-gathering.org/wiki
- NBTSC Wiki : http://www.nbtsc.org/wiki Not Back To School Camp
See related: Free Range Kids