the ultimate Small School :)
- GoalOfEducating Kids: We want our kids to end up as young adults capable of Making A Living, understanding the universe, dealing appropriately with their fellow humans, and being responsible citizens of an Open Society.
- We have an Educating Kids Monoculture of Tightly Coupled components (Standardized Test-s, Text-Book publishing/approving/buying, Teachers Union, etc.)
- In particular, almost all Public School-s (in the US) play by the same Game Rule-s (Best Practices). This has gone through Co-Evolution with the College Education acceptance game.
- Since most Private School-s are aiming at the same College Education target, most of them end up with the same Game Rule-s.
- Therefore there are very few truly unconventional schools in the US.
- Instead of a Two Income Family, have 1 parent stay home and teach the kids. (They may be able to run a One Man Show for Making A Living from home part-time.) Aim for an UnSchooling mentality.
great if you don't need to be a Two Income Family
State governments vary widely in how much they meddle in this: http://www.hslda.org/laws/
find Sketching medium that's convenient to use in other places (charcoal makes too much hand and floor mess)
- would we need scanner, or is Digital Camera enough to capture?
get out of the house daily for lots of walking
teach them to do housework with me, run errands together
sketching or photos
public spaces: empty and busy
try to get in the "back rooms" to see how places run, what people do
lots of Reading And Writing
fiction (incl SciFi) and non-fiction
whatever interests them
- integrate into Photo Sharing
continue Martial Art
continue PianoLessons, plus I teach them Recorder, we play group music
keep watching good TV